This recipe is an adaption of the Left Hand Wonder, developed by Julia Momose of GreenRiver in Chicago. To transform this into a cocktail, make half the mocktail recipe and shake with 1 to 2 ounces of an agave spirit like mezcal, Tequila, or sotol.
- 1 large knob of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 ounces beet juice
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce fresh grapefruit juice
- Sparkling water
- Freshly ground black pepper and thyme sprigs, for garnish
- Place the ginger into a high-speed blender with 1 cup water. Blend thoroughly, about 20 seconds. Place cheese cloth over a large measuring cup (you can also use a thin tea towel). Pour the ginger juice into the cup, allowing the pulp to remain in the cheesecloth. Let drain. Discard the pulp or use it in foods like stews, soups, oatmeal, or rice.
- Pour 1/2 ounce of the ginger liquid into the measuring cup and add the honey. Stir until well incorporated.
- Place all of the remaining ingredients, including the ginger-honey juice, in a cocktail shaker and shake until incorporated.
- Pour mixture into a glass with ice and top with as much sparkling water as you would like.
- Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and thyme sprigs (entwined into a wreath shape, if possible).