Casual enough for an afternoon snacks, dressy enough for company, this avocado toast recipe features toasted sprouted bread topped by a delightfully unusual, Asian-inspired twist on guacamole. This recipe is from The Clean Plates Cookbook ($17; Running Press) by Jared Koch with Jill Silverman Hough.
- 2 medium-size ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon prepared wasabi paste
- Fine sea salt to taste
- 4 slices sprouted-grain bread, halved or quartered on a diagonal
- 1 cup/ 20 g lightly packed watercress leaves
- 1 scallion, sliced thinly on a diagonal
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- In a medium bowl, combine the avocado, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and wasabi paste, using a fork to mash to a chunky consistency. Add salt to toast and set aside.
- Toast the bread until it's to your liking.
- Arrange the watercress on the toasts and top with the avocado mixture.
- Sprinkle with the scallion chia seeds and serve.