Recipe from Yvonne Ardestani of Yvonne’s Vegan Kitchen
There is nothing more soothing than a cup of decadent and luxurious hot chocolate on a cold, rainy day. To kick it up a notch, I love making a spicy hot chocolate. The warmth of the cinnamon, punch of heat from the cayenne, rich chocolate flavor from the cacao, and silkiness of the milk and chocolate really create a party in your mouth.
Besides being a creamy and delicious treat, cacao contains plant chemicals known as flavonoids, which may lower your risk for a number of health conditions including cancer and heart disease. It also contains serotonin and precursors to serotonin, which can be beneficial in improving your mood. To make you even happier about this drink, turmeric is colon-cleansing, cinnamon has been studied to regulate blood sugar and help reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol levels, and cayenne pepper has numerous benefits, such as boosting metabolism and removing arterial plaques (fatty plaques in the heart). This treat is perfect for any day (and not just rainy ones).
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Pinch ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup organic almond milk
- ¾ cup organic coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons or 2 small squares of vegan dark chocolate
- A dollop of Coconut Whipped Cream, optional
- Make the Coconut Whipped Cream first, if using.
- In a small saucepot, add the cinnamon, turmeric, cacao powder, coconut sugar, cardamom, cayenne pepper and vanilla. Slowly add the milk while whisking until there are no longer any lumps.
- Place the pot on medium heat, bringing the milk to a boil, and stirring occasionally.
- Once milk boils for 1 minute, turn off the heat and add the pieces of dark chocolate. Quickly whisk until the dark chocolate is melted and dissolved in the milk.
- Add cayenne pepper and whisk. Taste and season to taste. Add more coconut sugar if you’d like more sweetness, more cayenne for more heat, or more cinnamon for more warmth.
- Pour into your favorite mug. Top with the Coconut Whipped Cream and shredded chocolate and cinnamon, if you wish.