We’re big proponents of fresh food. But sometimes on the go, you need something quick and easy, like a snack bar. Some are frankly no better than candy bars, but others can be nutrient powerhouses. At the last Natural Products Expo West, the world’s largest natural and organic products trade show, we hand-picked a selection of bars that are organic, raw, non-GMO, gluten-free, soy-free, dairy-free, wheat-free, trans fat-free, and with little to no added sugars:
- BluePrintBar. The makers of the celeb-favorite fresh-pressed juice cleanse have created a line of rich, chewy bars. Our editors loved the Cashew Date and the Lemon Almond Cashew Date bars. They’re made with fruits, nuts, and nothing else.
- Bites of Bliss Superfood Bites. We enjoyed the strong pineapple flavor and sweet chewiness of the Pineapple/Coconut bar, also made with organic chia seeds, dates and walnuts. Other tasty flavors include Goji Berry and Carob/Almond Butter.
- Go Raw. Dense with sprouted organic seeds, these small, thin, slightly crunchy bars are tasty and not overly sweet; the Live Granola flavor has crispness, while the Real Live Apricot is more like fruit leather with seeds.
- Raw Rev 100. These mini, 100-calorie bars taste almost like fruity nougat with lots of seeds. Sweetened with organic agave nectar, the bars come in flavors like Cherry Chocolate Chunk and Chocolate Coconut Bliss.
- Thunderbird Energetica. Made with mostly organic ingredients and packaged in a compostable wrapper, these energy bars feature flavor combos like Cherry Walnut Crunch, Cashew Fig Carrot and Cacao Hemp Walnut. Our taster liked the crispy buckwheat groats and sweet-and-salty flavor.
- Evo Hemp. Packed with protein- and essential fatty acid-rich hemp, these nutrient-dense bars, which also contain fruits and nuts, come in flavors like Mango Macadamia, Pineapple Almond and Cashew Cacao—and are packed in compostable wrappers.
- Larabar. Though not organic or completely raw, Larabars are non-GMO certified and made with whole foods such as unsweetened fruits, nuts and spices. Widely available and easy to find at your local market, favorite flavors include Coconut Cream Pie, Cashew Cookie and Cherry Pie, which tastes like sour cherry.
We’re raisin’ the bar.