Also published on Medium.
- For dressing:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white onion, sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 1 bunch cilantro, rinsed and dried
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons water
- For salad:
- 1/3 cup wheat berries
- 1 5-oz. container arugula
- 1 small bunch mint, washed, dried, leaves picked
- 1 cup sugar snap peas, halved
- 1/8 cup pitted green olives, quartered
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion slices, season lightly with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is golden and caramelized, about 6 minutes. Adjust temperature as needed to prevent burning.
- In a food processor, combine caramelized onion with remaining dressing ingredients. Blend until smooth.
- While onions are caramelizing, cook wheatberries according to package directions (you should have about 1 cup cooked). Transfer to a medium-sized mixing bowl to cool. When cool, add arugula, mint, sugar snap peas, olives and raisins.
- Drizzle salad with dressing and toss. (You may not use it all. Cover and refrigerate extra dressing for another use.) Serve.