Recipe by Leah Vanderveldt
To make this dish a main, we added some 100% buckwheat soba noodles, but you could omit them if you prefer a lighter salad. You could also use spaghetti in the place of the soba noodles.
Also published on Medium.
- 4 oz. soba noodles
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 10 asparagus stalks, woody ends trimmed, stalks peeled into ribbons with a vegetable peeler, tips reserved
- 1 cup fresh peas (or thawed if frozen)
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- ½ lemon
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add soba and cook according to package instructions. Drain and rinse under cool water.
- Warm oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and let sizzle for 30 seconds. Stir in asparagus tips and thicker pieces; cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add remaining asparagus ribbons and a pinch of salt; cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute longer, until bright green and tender. Remove from heat.
- Add soba to skillet with asparagus mixture. Add peas and Parmesan and toss to combine, adding more oil to reach desired consistency, if needed. Squeeze lemon over mixture and serve.