This recipe is by Carolina Santos-Neves, a chef, partner at Comodo Restaurant in New York City, and a natural foods educator.
- 3 tablespoons liquefied unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Pinch salt & pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup coconut water
- 16 ounces fresh crabmeat, well drained
- ¼ bunch cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Baked pita chips or plantain chips for serving
- Special equipment: cast-Iron ramekin for serving
- Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 425º F.
- In a pot over low-medium heat, add coconut oil, onion, shallots, and a pinch of salt and pepper stirring occasionally until tender and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, let cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and coconut water. Let reduce for 3 minutes. Add crabmeat and cilantro. Heat for about 2 minutes.
- Lastly, add coconut and stir. Place some of the mixture in ramekin, top with grated parmesan cheese and bake until the cheese is melted at the edges, about 3-5 minutes.