This healthy, hearty vegetarian dinner recipe starring black rice, tempeh, broccoli and kale makes a filling and nutritious meal, with leftovers for lunch. This recipe is from The Clean Plates Cookbook ($20; Running Press) by Jared Koch and Jill Silverman Hough.
Also published on Medium.
- 1 1/2 cups (280 grams) black rice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) tahini
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided (from about 2 lemons)
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cups (200 grams) broccoli florets
- 8 ounces (225 grams) kale, ribs removed, leaves cut into 1/2-inch shreds
- 8 ounces (225 grams) sliced tempeh, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1/4 medium sized red cabbage, cored and cut into 1/4-inch shreds
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) pine nuts, toasted
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the rice and 2 2/3 cups (630 ml) of water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover, and cook until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the tahini, oil, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of water, and salt to taste. Set aside.
- When the rice is about 15 minutes from being done, in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer insert, bring the remaining 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 1 inch (2.5 cm) of water to a boil over high heat. Arrange the broccoli, kale, tempeh, and cabbage in the insert, cover and steam until the vegetables are tender and the tempeh is heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange the rice on plates or a platter and top with a vegetable mixture, tahini sauce, and pine nuts. Pass any remaining tahini at the table.