Maria Marlowe’s favorite Spring recipe is this Cashew Basil Pesto. It’s incredible (and dairy free!)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight, or at least 4 hours, and drained). Soaking cashews brings out the creamiest of textures. Simply put them in a bowl, cover with water, place a cover on the bowl, and let sit on the counter overnight or for at least 4 hours. (If you let them sit longer than overnight, refrigerate). When ready to use, simply drain.
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup olive oil (or more, depending on the consistency you want)
- Put garlic in Vitamix or food processor and pulse until chopped.
- Next add basil, and pulse again until it is broken down into small pieces.
- Add cashews and salt, and process on low (1-2 on a Vitamix) so that the cashews are broken into tiny pieces, but still maintain a little texture. If using cashews that haven't been soaked, you may want to process on a higher level to get a creamier consistency.
- Finally, with the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil until completely combined.
- Spoon into an airtight container.
- Can be used on pasta, as a dip, or in salad.