We love #meatlessmonday and we also love #toasttuesday, so we decided to have a mashup this week. It’s especially great because here’s a dinner you can make in about 2 minutes flat that’s simple, delicious, healthy and fun, and keeps your kitchen cool. Did we mention it’s also totally plant based?
Bonus—this too-good-to-be-true-but-it-is recipe, from a cookbook we love, The New Nourishing, employs something we’re completely obsessed with: Everything Bagel Spice Mix. We buy it at Trader Joe’s, but you can DIY it if you’re so inclined. You could also add some sliced smoked wild salmon to bagel it up more, or a dash of hot sauce (that’s how we like it). No matter what your taste, get ready to make this part of your regular rotation.
- 2 large (or 4 small) slices of sourdough, whole grain or sprouted grain bowl
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 spring onion/scallion, finely sliced
- Everything Bagel Spice Mix
- Toast the bread to your liking, then top with the avocado, dividing it evenly between each slice. Use a fork to mash the avocado, pressing it into the toast. Sprinkle with the sliced spring onion/scallion and finally with come of the Everything Bagel Spice Mix.
Recipe reprinted with permission from The New Nourishing by Leah Vanderveldt, published by Ryland Peters & Small. All images were taken by Clare Winfield and are the copyright of Ryland Peters & Small.