Remember when mom gave you a cup of warm milk before bed to help you fall asleep? Science says it really can be soothing. But here’s a way to take that age-old wisdom up a few nutritious notches à la ayurveda, an ancient system of Indian medicine.
Golden milk (or turmeric tea) is a warm, antioxidant-rich drink named for its star spice: turmeric. While this bright yellow aromatic is normally used in curries, it’s been used for millennia to treat everything from liver disease, skin problems, respiratory issues, joint pain and more.
That’s because turmeric contains curcumin, a compound with a rare combination of anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and even cancer-fighting properties. Some researchers say it’s as potent as taking an aspirin or antidepressants.
Add this drink to your bedtime ritual to help you sleep and get your daily dose of this powerful remedy.
- 2 cups organic milk (preferably grass-fed)
- 1 tablespoon raw organic honey
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Combine in a saucepan and simmer until warm. You can add ginger, cinnamon and even a touch of black pepper (which helps enhance absorption of turmeric).
- For a frothier drink, blend all the ingredients above with a tablespoon of coconut oil and enjoy.
Not a milk drinker? You can sub coconut milk or your favorite non-dairy choice.