This recipe is from vegan chef Rachel Carr of Los Angeles restaurant Chavela, a plant-based restaurant serving up Peruvian cuisine with pan-Latin influences.
- FOR THE BROTH:
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- 2/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/2 small habanero chile
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Chopped cilantro, for garnish
- FOR THE CEVICHE:
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, chopped into ½-inch cubes
- 1 large avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, julienned
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Make the broth: Blend everything (except the cilantro) until smooth and strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Season to taste with salt and pepper and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make the ceviche: In a bowl, toss the ceviche ingredients until well coated with the lime juice. To serve, place the dressed tomato and avocado in a bowl and pour some of the broth over the top. Garnish with cilantro and serve.