This simple vegetarian dish began with the idea of a deconstructed pesto: Sliced tomatoes, crisp-tender wax beans and baby arugula take on new meaning when drizzled with excellent olive oil gently infused with young garlic and topped with slivered sweet basil and roasted pine nuts. This pairs well with the Grilled Chicken with Ruby Plum Compote.
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 clove garlic, very thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons good-quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces wax beans, stems trimmed
- 2 ripe large tomatoes, sliced about 1/3 inch thick
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 4 fresh basil leaves
- About a tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan Reggiano Cheese
- Toast the pine nuts slowly in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, shaking the pan occasionally until golden; transfer to a plate and let cool. Heat 3 tablespoons oil and the sliced garlic in the same pan over medium heat, stirring, until tender and only lightly colored. Let cool completely. Add the lemon juice and season to taste.
- Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the beans and cook until barely crisp-tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water until cool.
- Divide tomato slices among 4 salad plates, season lightly with salt and pepper, and top with beans and arugula. Thinly slice the basil, stir into the garlic oil and spoon over the salads. Sprinkle with Parmesan and pine nuts.