Fries—just the word conjures up a crunchy, salty indulgent treat.
But what if we said you could have all that satisfying crunch and flavor, but also get your vegetables in and feel great after?
It’s true. With these gluten-free, cheesy zucchini “fries,” you’re just a few easy minutes away from quelling those cravings like a healthy-eating champ. You get a virtuous Meatless Monday dish and an awesome tasty treat all at the same time.
- 1½ cups / 140g freshly grated Pecorino Romano (Parmesan will also work)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 to 4 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee, melted
- Hot sauce, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F / 180°C. Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cheese, garlic powder, black pepper, salt, and oregano.
- Slice the zucchinis into thin wedges; you should get about 12 pieces from each vegetable. Toss the wedges in the coconut oil to coat, then toss them in the cheese mixture, pressing the wedges into the cheese to set. Place the coated fries on the wire rack.
- Bake the zucchini fries until tender, 12 to 15 minutes, then place them under the broiler until the cheese is golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately with hot sauce if desired.
Reprinted from Naturally Nourished: Healthy, Delicious Meals Made with Everyday Ingredients. Copyright © 2017 by Sarah Britton. Photographs copyright © 2017 by Sarah Britton. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Penguin Random House, LLC.