Recipe by Amy Sherman
Steel-cut oats are lower on the Glycemic Index than rolled oats. They also have a very hearty texture and are a little lower in calories than rolled oats. You can make both the oats and fruit compote ahead of time and store in the refrigerator for several days.
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup unsulfured dried apples, chopped
- 1/2 cup unsulfured dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup no-sugar added orange juice
- 4 teaspoons chia seeds, divided
- Cook oats according to package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat the water in a saucepan and when it boils, add the dried apples and apricots. Turn the heat off and let sit for 15 minutes. Add the orange juice and simmer until the fruit is soft and the liquid is completely absorbed, about 10-12 minutes.
- Portion the porridge into 4 bowls. Sprinkle each serving with a teaspoon chia seeds and spoon the fruit compote on top.