It’s hard enough to get up and go in the morning without also having to figure out what to eat for breakfast that will fuel you, keep you full and also taste great. No wonder so many people turn to granola: It’s quick and tasty with a hearty, satisfying crunch.
Though supermarket shelves are stocked with packaged varieties, they vary a lot in flavor and also can be loaded with sugar. Plus, if grains don’t agree with you, your choices can be limited.
Say hello to your new a.m. BFF: This Paleo granola is made from just a few simple ingredients, is grain-free and not too sweet, and is easily transformed into an array of flavors, including coffee, chocolate and a golden goddess variety that leaves behind a bowl of delicious turmeric-golden milk.
Go with one of these flavors, or use this template to create your own Paleo granola.
Laura D’Alessandro is an editor and recipe developer in Los Angeles where she teaches private, in-home cooking lessons.
Also published on Medium.
- 1 cup small crunchy bits (e.g., shredded coconut, hemp seeds or a combination thereof)
- 3 cups mixed nuts and seeds (e.g., cashew pieces, sunflower seeds, sliced almonds or a combination thereof)
- 1 cup large crunchy bits (e.g., Brazil nuts, coconut flakes, walnuts, pecans or a combination thereof)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/3 cup coconut oil or grass-fed ghee
- 1/3 cup natural sweetener (e.g., coconut sugar, maple syrup or raw honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 2 teaspoons spices (e.g., cinnamon, cardamom)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325ºF; line a 9-by-13-inch baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment.
- In a large bowl, toss together small crunchy bits, nuts/seed, large crunchy bits and chia seeds. Melt coconut oil or ghee in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, then let cool slightly. Stir in sweetener, spices, and vanilla, if using.
- Pour fat mixture into dry ingredients; toss well to coat. Spread evenly on baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Stir, then bake for another 10 minutes until golden. Watch carefully to avoid burning the smaller seeds.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Granola will crisp as it cools. Break into chunks and store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 1 week.