Farm-to-table meal delivery service PALETA offers fresh (not frozen) meals for busy people. Creator and chef Kelly Boyer especially loves pumpkin, and it’s the highlight of this recipe!
- 4 mini pumpkins (each about 5” in diameter)
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt & fresh black pepper
- 1 c. packaged, uncooked wild rice mix
- 1 ¼ c. vegetable stock or water
- 1 whole orange, zested and juiced
- ¼ c. dried cranberries or cherries
- 2-3 finely chopped dried dates
- 2 scallions, chopped
- ½ c. toasted almond slivers (or rinse, dry and toast the pumpkin seeds from inside the pumpkins)
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp. coconut nectar or raw agave
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Thoroughly wash pumpkins and core the top inch and stem (do not throw away). Scoop out seeds and use to make roasted pumpkin seeds to replace the almond slivers, if desired.
- Lightly coat the insides of the pumpkins with olive oil; salt & pepper the insides of the pumpkins and bottoms of the pumpkin tops. Place pumpkin tops with stems sticking up and pumpkins upside down on a baking sheet; roast for 20-30 minutes, until the flesh is fork-tender. Remove from oven.
- While pumpkins are in the oven, prepare the wild rice mix according to the directions on the package (you can use vegetable stock instead of water for a deeper flavor), then set aside.
- Zest the orange and put it to the side. Press the juice from the citrus and add to the the dried fruit, in a small bowl.
- Add the scallions, orange zest, juice, dried fruit, nuts or toasted seeds, herbs, seasonings and nectar to the cooked wild rice, and combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the wild rice mixture into your roasted pumpkins and return to the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Top with the pumpkin tops and serve hot.