By Lindsay Cohn
Cheesecake is the perfect creamy indulgence—not to mention a guaranteed crowd-pleaser. But just because you’re dairy-free doesn’t mean you can’t have this dreamiest of treats. Our go-to recipe (see below) is raw, vegan and simple to whip up—but don’t tell your friends, who will be totally impressed with your dessert-making prowess.
What’s the secret? This luscious dessert combines omega-rich walnuts, cashews, and virgin coconut oil, plus Medjool dates and maple syrup for sweetness. The best part? You can customize with different healthy mix-ins to suit any taste.
Adorn it with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries for the 4th of July. Swirl in key lime or lemon for a bright hit of citrus, or vanilla and orange zest for a creamsicle flavor. You can even shape it into easy-to-eat bites or bars for potlucks and backyard BBQs. One thing is for sure: No matter what you do with it, even non-vegans will love it.
Bio: Lindsay Cohn is a wellness writer, yogi and essential oil enthusiast. You can follow her on Instagram at @lindsay_cohn and Twitter at @lindsay_cohn.
Also published on Medium.
- For Crust:
- 1/2 cup Medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/2 cup raw shelled walnuts
- For Filling:
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Optional Mix-ins:
- All natural peanut butter, shredded coconut, berries (fresh or frozen), Key lime juice, raw chocolate, cacao powder
- For Toppings:
- Blueberries, strawberries and raspberries
- Make Crust: In a food processor, blend dates and walnuts. Firmly press mixture into the bottom of a 9-inch round cake tin. Cover and freeze until ready to use.
- Make Filling: Drain cashews and rinse with cool water; pat dry. Add to a food processor, along with remaining filling ingredients (not including mix-ins). Pulse until smooth. Stir in any mix-ins with a flexible spatula.
- Remove crust from freezer. Pour filling on top and spread evenly. Cover with foil and freeze overnight.
- One hour before serving, transfer cake to refrigerator. Sprinkle berries on top and serve. (Store leftovers covered in freezer for up to two weeks.)