Recipe by Carolina Santos-Neves
Also published on Medium.
- For dressing:
- 1/4 cup honey mustard
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- For salad:
- 2 skirt steak filets, about 5 oz. each
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt
- Black pepper
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- ½ cup grape tomatoes
- 1 5 oz. container mache lettuce
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- ½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- In a food processor, combine all ingredients for dressing. Blend until smooth.
- Take steaks out of refrigerator, pat with paper towels, season with salt and pepper and let stand on a plate to reach room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Spread broccoli on a large rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon oil; season lightly with salt. Spread tomatoes on a separate baking sheet; drizzle with 2 teaspoons oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Toss both sheets of vegetables to distribute oil and salt; spread vegetables evenly on sheets. Roast until tender, broccoli is beginning to brown in spots and tomatoes have collapsed, about 20 to 25 minutes, stirring once or twice during baking time. Transfer both vegetables to a medium bowl to cool.
- When cool, add mache, goat cheese and pumpkin seeds to bowl with broccoli and tomatoes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Raise the heat to medium-high. Place steaks in skillet and cook until until seared on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn steak with tongs and cook 2 minutes longer. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Toss salad with dressing, divide between two plates, top with steak and serve.