- 8 golden baby beets
- 8 candy-striped baby beets
- 1 1/2 c. kosher salt
- 10 sprigs thyme, 2 sprigs cleaned and chopped
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- ¼ c. orange oil*
- 2 tangerines, segmented; save juices from segments and use to marinate beets
- 8 leaves watercress
- ½ c. soft goat cheese
- 2 Tbsp. basil oil*
- Petite basil or chopped regular basil
- ¼ c. candied pistachios or roasted pistachios
- Cover the bottom of a roasting pan with a layer of kosher salt. Lay out a few thyme sprigs and then place 7 of each beet variety on top. Cover with foil and roast in the oven at 350° F for 30-45 minutes. To check the beets’ doneness, insert a toothpick. If it goes in easily, they are done. Let them cool until you can hold them comfortably, and then peel off the skins. The beets are easy to peel when warm.
- When beets are all cleaned, cut into bite-size pieces and mix with the chopped thyme, diced shallots, orange oil and tangerine juice.
- For the reserved raw beets, make sure they are free from dirt, and slice paper-thin on a mandolin or slicer, width-wise. These beet disks will be a garnish, and you can do them ahead of time and keep them in clean water until ready for use.
- To assemble, place a few pieces of watercress on a serving plate and put the marinated beets on top. Scatter the tangerine segments, goat cheese and pistachios and drizzle with the basil oil and a bit of the beet marinade. Sprinkle on the basil and place the beet disks on top.
This recipe is from Chef Mette Williams of Culina.