- 4 ounces walnuts, shelled
- 1 pound freshly picked stinging nettle leaves
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or walnut oil
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Toast walnuts in a 325F oven for 10 minutes.
- Pick the leaves off stinging nettles (make sure to wear gloves!).
- Wash the leaves, then blanch them for 1 minute before moving to an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Squeeze as much water from leaves as possible, then chop them.
- Add about 1/4 of the walnuts and nettles to a food processor. When well mixed, add 2 1/2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and blend again.
- Continue adding walnuts, nettles, and oil in this manner until all the walnuts and nettles have been added and you achieve your desired consistency.
- Rough chop garlic cloves and mix into pesto with a spoon. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.