This recipe is from The Clean Plates Cookbook ($17; Running Press) by Jared Koch with Jill Silverman Hough.
- 1 1/4 cups (155 grams) spelt
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) ground flaxseeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aluminum- free baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 large organic, pasture-raised, or antibiotic- free eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) organic neutral-flavored oil, such as grapeseed, plus more as needed
- 1 cup (100 grams) shredded zucchini
- 1 cup (100 grams) chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Oil an 8 by 4 by 3-inch (20 by 10 by 7.5 cm) loaf pan.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan and press it into the pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, flaxseeds, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl, whisk 1/4 cup of water with the sugar and eggs. Whisk in the oil. Add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. Stir in the zucchini and walnuts.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let the bread cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then unmold and return the bread to the rack to cool completely.