A soothing face mask is such a great way to practice self-care—it’s quick and easy and it forces you to sit still and just relax for 15 minutes. No matter how busy our days get, we can all make time to do this one little thing for ourselves occasionally, right? Right??
That’s why we love this mask from Homemade: 707 Products to Make Yourself to Save Money and the Earth. It’s super-budget friendly and it doesn’t require any advance planning, because the ingredients are so simple, most likely you have them in your kitchen already. Plus, it’s so clean, you could literally eat it. But don’t—put it on your face and treat yourself to that 15-minute break.
Why this mask is awesome:
- Oats: Hydrating, contain skin-boosting amino acids
- Apple: Astringent, exfoliating, rich in vitamin C
- Yogurt: Regulates oil production, antibacterial
- Honey: Moisturizing, anti-inflammatory, exfoliating
- Egg white: Provides temporary skin tightening
- 2/3 cup (85g) instant oats
- 1/2 cup (125ml) hot water
- 1/2 apple, cored
- 2 heaping tablespoons (40g) plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) honey
- 1 large egg white
- Clean your face thoroughly with any natural cleanser. In a small bowl, stir the oats into the hot water until you have a smooth mixture. Let stand for about 5 minutes or until the mixture thickens to a paste.
- Put the apple, yogurt, honey, and egg white in a blender or food processor and pulse for 45 seconds just to mix. Now add the oat mixture and pulse for 20 seconds more.
- Apply this mask evenly to the face, avoiding the eyes, and let sit for 15 minutes or until skin feels tight. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and pat skin dry.