By Fabiana Santana
By now we’ve all heard about the benefits of matcha and how it can be a healthier alternative to sugary blended drinks and even your morning coffee.
But this potent green powder can do so much more, lending its significant health benefits to your beauty routine, too.
“Unlike traditional green tea extract, matcha is a powder created from the leaves of the green tea plant itself. Matcha is thought to have much more potent antioxidant activity as compared to green tea,” Dr. Joshua Zeichner, a dermatologist and director of Cosmetic and Clinical Research for the Department of Dermatology at The Mount Sinai Hospital, tells Clean Plates. “It contains EGCG, a potent catechin antioxidant that helps protect the skin against free-radical damage. It also is a useful ingredient in brightening the skin and supporting healthy collagen production.”
Plus, since it’s a powder, matcha mixes easily into DIY masks and scrubs. Here’s a recipe for a mask using matcha and just a few always-in-your-pantry ingredients, to get you looking fresh and gorgeous in a green flash, any time.
Hungry for more?
- 9 Expert Morning Tips for All-Day Energy
- 10 Teas to Boost Your Health
- The Best Face Products with Sephora’s New Clean Beauty Seal
BIO: Fabiana Santana is a food writer, culinary instructor and recipe tester whose work has appeared in Bustle, Refinery29, Maxim, Daily Meal and others.
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- ½ tsp raw honey
- ½ tsp coconut oil
- 2 to 3 drops essential oil, such as lavender, peppermint or eucalyptus
- Using a popsicle stick or mixing tool, mix matcha, honey and oils in a small bowl until the mixture forms a thick paste. Gently apply to your face in a circular, massaging motion, taking care to avoid your eyes. Leave on for 10 to 15 minutes (mixture will not harden as mud masks do). Gently remove with warm water or a warm, wet washcloth.
Make sure all of the ingredients are warmed to room temperature before mixing, to allow for easier spreading on the skin.