By Lauren Salkeld
Use milk—cow’s, almond, cashew, coconut—for a creamier oatmeal experience, and adjust the spices and toppings to suit your taste.
- 3 cups water or your favorite milk
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats (not quick cooking)
- 2/3 cup canned pure pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice or cloves
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Maple syrup and toasted pecans, for serving
- Bring the milk or water to a boil. Add the oats, pumpkin purée, cinnamon, ginger, allspice or cloves, nutmeg, and salt then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, about 10 minutes, depending on the desired consistency.
- Divide among bowls, drizzle with maple syrup, sprinkle with pecans, and serve.