Chockfull of fiber-rich almonds and brown rice cereal as well as heart-healthy coconut (nectar and shredded) and cacao, these energy bars are perfectly portable and eminently delicious.
This recipe is from The Clean Plates Cookbook ($17; Running Press) by Jared Koch with Jill Silverman Hough.
- 2 cups (30 grams) puffed brown rice cereal
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) naturally sweetened unsulfured dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (60 grams) raw cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup (35 grams) sesame seeds, toasted and divided
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) organic almond butter
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) coconut nectar
- Line an 8-inch/20 cm square baking pan with parchment or waxed paper, letting it hang a bit over the sides. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cereal, cranberries, cacao bits, coconut, and 3 tablespoons of the sesame seeds. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the almond butter and coconut nectar, stirring until blended. Remove from the heat and stir in the cereal mixture. Transfer the entire mixture to the prepared pan, spreading it out evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds, pressing them to adhere, and refrigerate until firm, about an hour.
- Use the parchment to transfer the bars from the baking pan to a cutting board. Cut into squares and serve.