When it comes to breakfast bowls, oats get all the love. But other grains, which we often relegate to salads and lunchtime bowls, also can get you going in the morning. One that’s worth adding to your a.m.: Millet.
This gluten-free ancient grain is fiber rich, a good source of iron and protein, and also high in magnesium, a super-important mineral that supports many functions in the body—including mood. Magnesium can help the body to have a healthier stress response, and who couldn’t use that in the morning?
Millet also has a slightly sweet, nutty flavor you’ll love. Top it with eggs, apples and bright fresh herbs in the bowl below, and you’ll be ready to tackle the day.
Hungry for more?
- Grain Bowls that Make Winter Mornings Delicious
- Go Gluten Free, Painlessly and Deliciously
- 5 Awesome Whole 30 Breakfasts
BIO: Amie Valpone is a chef, nutrition expert and wellness consultant, and the best-selling author of Eating Clean: The 21-Day Plan to Detox, Fight Inflammation, and Reset Your Body.
- 1 cup millet
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 large apple, diced
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 large scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. cashews
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- 2 tsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cook the millet according to package directions.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the two eggs and cover. Cook for 5 minutes or until the eggs are no longer runny.
- In a large bowl, combine the millet, eggs, apple, arugula, scallion, cashews, red onion and parsley.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Mix to combine then drizzle over the millet mixture and serve immediately.