Skip to content
Recipe by Ariel Martinez
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 whole-wheat buns
- 2 romaine lettuce leafs, each halved
- 1 hothouse tomato, cut into 4 slices
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Preheat the broiler. In a large ovenproof pan over moderately high heat, warm 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Add the shiitake, garlic, and onion and stir until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in tamari and maple syrup and place under the broiler for 10 minutes, constantly tossing to evenly brown.
- Spread remaining two teaspoons of coconut oil on the buns and toast. Assemble burger with avocado oil mayo, lettuce, tomato, shiitake "bacon" and ketchup. Serve with carrot sticks.