A beloved comfort food meal gets a delicious makeover. Try this cremini brown rice veggie burger to impress all your vegetarian friends.
- 1 c. uncooked organic brown rice
- 2 Tbsp. organic olive oil, separated
- 1/2 organic red onion, chopped
- 2 organic garlic cloves
- 1/4 lb. organic cremini mushrooms
- 2.5 c. cooked organic black beans*
- 1/2 tsp. organic chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- *It's cheaper to buy dry beans and cook them yourself than to buy beans by the can.
- Cook brown rice per the instructions on the package.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is transparent. Add mushrooms and sauté until soft and starting to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Place 3/4 of your black beans in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add mushroom mixture, brown rice, chili powder and sea salt. Pulse until coarsely mixed together. Empty contents of food processor into a bowl and gently stir in the remaining black beans. With slightly wet hands, form mixture into four patties.
- Heat remaining oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Cook the patties on each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Serve with your favorite condiments such as whole grain mustard, organic ketchup, sauerkraut, sriracha, or olive oil and vinegar.