This recipe is excerpted from The Vegetable Butcher, Workman Publishing, copyright 2016. The pesto will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator, for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Also published on Medium.
- 1 bunch (about 10 ramps or 1/2 pound) coarsely chopped ramps
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan, Pecorino Romano, or Asiago cheese,
- 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or walnut oil
- Combine ramps, walnuts or pecans, grated cheese, lemon juice, salt, pepper and oil in a food processor or blender.
- Puree to make a thick paste.
- Continue blending, adding more oil as needed, until you reach your desired consistency.
- Adjust the salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.