var axel = Math.random() + "";
var a = axel * 10000000000000;
Sleep: It’s so crucial to good health, affecting everything from immunity to appetite, mood, beauty, libido and more. We all need it to live a healthy life, and yet so many of us don’t the 7 to 9 hours per night recommended by the National Sleep Foundation.
Here are some simple things you can do to help you get the most and the best-quality shut-eye, so you can feel amazing all day.
- Greet the sun. Getting a shot of sunlight first thing in the morning can help you fall and stay asleep at night, and also reduce anxiety and depression, research suggests. Going outside is best, but if you can’t, looking out a window also works. Seeing plenty of light during the day helps calibrate your body’s inner clock, so it’s ready to drift off when the time comes at night.
- Beat the heat. Speaking of staying cool, make sure your thermostat is set between 60 and 67ºF for optimal sleep. Your body temperature naturally lowers as you prepare to sleep, and a cool room helps get that process going. A cool room also boosts the quality of your sleep.
- Stick to the schedule. Aim to go to sleep and wake up at the same time every day (yes, even on weekends). This is another way to keep your internal clock (a.k.a. circadian rhythm) running well. Not only does this affect sleep, it also influences your appetite/eating habits, hormone balance, body temperature and more, so getting it to run well can really upgrade your quality of life. If you’re thinking, “But I need to sleep in on Saturday!”, you won’t once you’re getting the rest you need. And waking up early on Saturday and Sunday means more weekend for you. #worthit
- Eat for sleep. Certain foods can help promote good rest—and thankfully, they’re good for you and delicious, too. Leafy greens, sesame and pumpkin seeds, almonds and dark chocolate are rich in magnesium, which is key to helping your body relax and fall asleep. In case you need a reason to whip up some guac, avocados have potassium, which can help you stay asleep (beans are also a good source). Vitamin D is also important; you can get it during your a.m. sun greeting, or in foods like fatty fish (hello, salmon) and egg yolks.
- Get comfortable. Having the most comfortable mattress is key to sleeping well (duh, right?), and that’s why we love Nectar Sleep. With three layers of memory foam and a breathable base layer, Nectar circulates air and contours to your body, no matter what position you sleep in. Plus, Nectar mattresses have a soft, cooling cover, so you sleep cool and comfortable all night.
Yes, quality sleep means better long-term health, lower risk for disease, etc.—but it also gives you tons of energy, makes you look and feel awesome and helps you kick butt at all of your pursuits. Get started today with a special offer from Nectar Sleep. They’re offering Clean Plates readers $125 off on their incredibly comfortable mattresses, and the deal also comes with two free premium memory foam pillows. Act fast, because this deal won’t last.